Rehabilitation and Medical Centers
Dona Nova Centre
Walk-in centre providing care of withdrawal symptoms, as well as care and support in recovery from addiction to substance abuse.
82 Avenue Denfert Rochereau
75014 PARIS 14
Tel: 01 43 27 83 90
The Dona Nova Centre helps to support and educate drug addicts, as well as provide them with treatment and medication if required to help with the recovery process both psychologically and physiologically.
L'Egalité, Liberté, Fraternité
Interventions, working with drug users and troubled youth to provide education and support in getting them off the street, and helping them to embark on the path to a life without drugs.
6 rue des Guerriers BP 60982 13604 AIX EN PROVENCE 1
Tel: 04 42 96 44 52
One of many similar initiatives across France, the ELF aims to provide a safe place for troubled youth to get out of the destructive cycle of drug abuse through treatment and education.
Narcotics control regulations and laws
Law of 1970
Government of France
Law no. 2003-87
Published Authority Government of France
February 3, 2003
Internet link: ???
Facts and stats
Drug trafficking is relatively prevalent in France, owing to the fact that it shares borders with other drug trafficking nations such as Italy and Spain, as well as its presence in the Caribbean territories.
Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in France, with nearly a third of 15-64 year olds having tried it in their lifetime.
It is particularly popular among French youth. Nearly half of all French 17 year olds have tried marijuana at least once. This figure is far higher than that of any other drug, with 3.2% having tried cocaine and 1.1% having tried heroin.
There were 305 drug-related deaths recorded in 2006. Most of these were attributed to opioids, followed by cocaine.
In 2001, 93% of the 79,000 arrests made for drug offences in France were for use, possession or resale, whilst the remaining 7% of arrests were for trafficking offences.
Trafficking is punishable with imprisonment for 10 years, or life imprisonment in the most severe cases, along with a large fine.
There is no legal distinction in French law between supplying of drugs and trafficking, with most offences dealt with on a case by case basis depending on the amount seized and the context.
A 2000 study indicated that illegal drugs cost the French economy €2 billion. This figure takes account of mortality, loss of productivity, as well as other social costs associated with drugs.
Governmental / Non-governmental Associations
Mission interministérielle de lutte contre la drogue et la toxicomanie, (MILDT)
35, rue Saint Dominique
Tel: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.00
The MILDT (translated as “the Interdepartmental Mission for the fight against drugs and drug addiction”) is responsible for co-ordinating the State’s approach to drug policy.
Association Francaise pour la Reduction des risques (AFR)
The AFR aims to take a holistic approach to drug use, assessing their impact on all aspects of society including health, culture, sport, policy and justice.